Thursday, October 25, 2012

week of the adams


This is my "weekly review" that we are required to write as one of our weekly assignments! hope you enjoy the recap! 

                After a long week apart from each other, it was great to be back together as a class! I never thought I would miss spending time with everyone until I was gone! Bottom line, I am glad to be back! This week we had the pleasure of hearing from our very own Adam Martin and Adam Donyes! 

Tuesday was all about time management. At our age managing time is always a struggle. We all think we are doing a great job with our time management skills, when in reality we are terrible. Adam’s talk was a wake up call for me, especially when he said that we make time for what’s important to us. If I stop and think what I make time for and what push aside, my priorities are not straight. Lately I have noticed that I push time with God to the back of my mind. I am more worried about spending time with friends and not missing out. I now understand that I need to step back and really think about what is more important! Creating a time block schedule really helped me plan out my day, and I think it will help me stay on top of what commitments I have. 
 Wednesday Adam Martin talked about money management! As college students, saving money is not always easy! I know that for me I don’t always spend my money wisely. Adam helped us see what it looks like to spend wisely and how to manage our money responsibly. He showed us mint.com which I plan on setting up for myself so that I can keep track of my spending in a more efficient way! 

To wrap up the week, Adam Donyes spoke on managing our selves. We learned that discipline is the main ingredient to managing self. Adam told us about 3 different types of discipline. The first one is inward discipline. Those are meditation, prayer, fasting, and studying. The one that stood out most to me was meditation. Nowhere in scripture are we called to memorize, but rather meditate. Meditation takes it from just knowledge in our brain to something meaningful in our hearts that we can live by. The next type of discipline is outward. These are simplicity, solitude, submission, and service. Solitude stuck out the most to me. God speaks to us in a whisper, not a booming thunder storm or a raging fire, but in a whisper to our hearts. In order to hear a whisper you need silence. The enemy hates and will not allow silence in our lives. Satan knows how God speaks to us, and this is why he tries to make our lives busy and full of distractions. When we are constantly going and don’t ever stop and rest in silence, how can we expect to hear God’s voice. The last type of discipline is corporate discipline. Those consist of confession, worship, guidance, and celebration. I most enjoyed learning about guidance. We all get more out of life when we seek wisdom from both God and others who have gone before us. Over the last year I have realized how truly important and beneficial it is to have someone older than you speak truth into my life. It is incredible how much one person can change your life simply by challenging you and keeping you accountable. 

Out of all the incredible speakers we have had come and teach us, I have learned more this week than any other. The information I took in this week is some that will last me a life time and has impacted my way of thinking permanently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment