Saturday, September 29, 2012

Why Are We Here?

It's very rare that you find a group of 32 students from all over the United States who all share the same eagerness to learn more about our faith in one place. So, the question is the same for everyone "Why are you here?" Well, I am at Link Year for a permanent life change. I forever want to live a life that is pleasing to God. No longer do I want to live my life constantly pleasing others. This year I hope to increase my knowledge of the word and dive deeper into what it means to be a Christian so I that can positively impact my college campus, and be a light to my friends and family.
 I never thought I would be the person not knowing what they wanted to do after high school. My life was planned out perfectly in my head, but after hearing about Link Year everything changed! I felt like God laid on my heart to attend Link Year, and I am so glad I put my trust in Him and allowed His works to take place in my life! Let me assure you, putting my trust in Him was NOT easy. All year I struggled with wondering if I had made the right decision. It became even harder once my peers began to find out roommates and buy dorm decorations. The worst was when they would come back from orientation and talk non stop about how excited they were! I wanted nothing more than to be excited for them, but I was filled with so much jealousy and I was so worried I was going to be so left out of the whole "college life" experience. So I prayed continuously that God would calm my heart and give me a peace about my decision, expecting that this "peace" would come sooner rather than later. Well, even a week before move in day I still wasn't sure about my decision, but as soon as I arrived and began to meet the incredible people I will live with the next year, all my doubts and worries were gone. I knew the Lord put me here for a reason. I have no clue what the Lord's purpose is for me here, but that is what I hope to learn! 
The first night, our leaders took the class out to Martin's Point (a BEAUTIFUL camp site on a lake Kanakuk uses during the summer) and we hung out and roasted hot dogs and SMORES! The night even consisted of some bluff jumping...which I hate...but I faced my fear and jumped anyways. But before we could stuff our faces with graham crackers and chocolate, we all stood up one by one and said why we were here. 
I was expecting everyone to have similar stories for why they are here in Branson MO...I was dead wrong. Each student had a completely unique story and reason for coming here. Most were fairly normal, no tragic experiences or anything. Others were very sad and heartbreaking and made my life seem so easy. But with each story told I realized how blessed I am to be apart of something that is so evidently orchestrated by God alone.It is insane how lucky we are to have the chance to walk through God's will together as one class! I am so extremely excited to see what plans the Lord has in store for this crowd in the next 8 months!! Keep reading, and you will be able to experience this year along with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment